Minced beef is a massive favourite in our house and luckily Alfie feels the same!
The whole point of blw (baby led weaning) is that the little ones can eat with you and that they can pretty much the same food and so chilli is a firm favourite.
I use the slow cooker for this one and make it during Alfie’s morning nap. This is especially useful on the day we have our swimming lesson and we are back right before dinner. Also, you can easily set aside the baby portion and then add extra chilli heat for the grown ups!
Ingredients (serves 2 adults and 2 baby portions-I tend to freeze 1)
- 250g lean steak mince
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- Pepper chopped into long slices the size of your little finger
- 500g carton of passata or tinned of tomatoes
- Mini tin of kidney beans in water (drain)
- 2 tsp of cumin powder
- Sprinkle of chilli (and then 3tsp to add for the adult portion)
- Grated cheese of choice to serve
- Natural yoghurt to serve
- Rice for adults
- Cooked wholemeal fusilli pasta for those babies who only want to feed themselves!
How to make
- Gently fry onion and garlic
- Add mince and brown
- Put into slow cooker and add the passata, cumin, chopped pepper, kidney beans and a sprinkle of chilli
- Cook on low setting until ready to serve
- Cook rice and pasta
- Set aside baby portion of chilli and mix in with fusilli pasta and add grated cheese – set aside to cool
- Meanwhile add the extra chilli for the grown ups
- Serve with a splodge of natural yoghurt