Chia seeds are known as a superfood and because my dad is always ahead of the game with such trends he frequently sends me a bag but I run out of things to do with them! This recipe is the perfect way to include chia seeds and use up leftover blueberries and bananas (which we always also seem to have a surplus of).
This recipe is taken from one of my favourite websites, the ‘Lovely Little Lunchbox’. I’ve tweaked it slightly and I found the mixture did overflow a little during cooking. It also includes sugar but as Alfie is now into trying everything (including all the delicious cakes at the lovely 1st birthday parties we’ve been going to) it’s getting harder to be so strict on no sugar. Hopefully the chia seeds, blueberries and banana makes up for it! Plus, I’m far more excited to see he has regained his enthusiasm for trying new foods and explore new flavours to be so caught up worrying about sugar!
- 225g plain flour
- 220g brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Approx three bananas mashed
- 1 egg
- 140g plain yoghurt
- 60ml veg oil
- 80ml maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 150g blueberries
- 45g chia seeds
How to make
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Place flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, chia seeds and cinnamon into a bowl and mix
- Add mashed banana, egg, yoghurt, oil, maple syrup and vanilla and mix to combine
- Fold blueberries into mixture
- Pour into loaf tin (you can line with baking powder but I don’t tend to)
- Bake for 1 hour-1 hour 10 mins until golden and if you insert a skewer it removes cleanly
Covering your face with it is optional!