Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best. This is especially true as I am still getting used to being back at work.
I was never given macaroni and cauliflower cheese growing up so it’s only quite a recent addition to the family menu but I love how easy it is to cook and how it’s pure comfort food. It’s also a complete store cupboard, last minute, panic recipe as we always have flour, butter, eggs, cheese and some type of vegetable in.
I’ve taken the recipe from a lovely book called ‘Baby healthy eating planner’ by Amanda Grant.
Ingredients (makes two small adult portions and one baby portion)
- 100g macaroni (I used spiralli)
- 400g cauliflower florets
- 200ml full fat milk
- 20g plain flour
- 20g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley (optional)
- 100g cheddar cheese grated
How to make
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Boil pasta according to pack instructions
- Cook cauliflower over the boiling water in a steamer until tender (approx 8-10 mins)
- Meanwhile mix together the flour, butter and milk and heat gently. Keep stirring until you have a smooth sauce. Add half the cheese, parsley and season with pepper
- Drain pasta and add cauliflower and pasta to the cheese sauce. Stir.
- Pour into ovenproof door, sprinkle remaining cheese and bake for 15 mins
- Set aside baby portion and allow to cool down